How Much Does It Cost To Design A Website?
One of the most asked questions is: “How much does it cost to design a website?” Though there’s not a single answer because the cost varies from website to website.
You can either design and build a website using a DIY website builder or hire a website development company for a custom website. There would be a huge difference between the costs of both websites.
According to a rough estimate, you can design a simple, template-based, 2-3 page website for as little as £20-£35/month. On the other hand, a custom website can cost up to or more than £5,000. See the difference there? The features & functionalities of both websites would be hugely different from each other. So it’s safe to say that the cost depends on your unique business needs, features, and experience you want to deliver.
Let’s look at each method to design a website and find out how much does each method cost.
How much does it cost to design a website using a website builder?
The easiest and cheapest way to design a basic website is by using a website builder.
The cost of designing a website using a website builder starts around £6 and goes up to £500 per month.
Website builders are ideal for:
- Beginners with a little technical knowledge of website designing & development
- Those who want to have their site up & running quickly
- Those who want to create a live portfolio or personal website
A very basic level website with limitations cost around £15 per month. You may use a website builder free of cost, but you’ll experience:
- Adverts on your website
- Limited customer support
- Limited bandwidth & storage
- No e-commerce feature
- Non-custom domain
On the other hand, if you want a full-fledged website from a website builder, then the subscription cost goes as big as £500 per month. Within this cost, you’ll get 24/7 customer support, custom domain, unlimited bandwidth & storage, design flexibility AKA ‘customization’, and much more.
Some of the popular website builders are Wix, Squarespace, and Weebly.
The cost would vary depending on whether you’ve created a personal website, portfolio site, online store, or a large online store. The more features you add to your site, the more will be the cost.
How much does it cost to design a website using a professional website designer?
Hiring a professional website designer puts your website in the hands of a professional. It enables you to get a website that’s explicitly designed to meet your unique business needs.
Hiring a website designer is ideal when:
- You need a complex website
- You do not have the technical know-how of website designing and development
- You need a custom website for your unique business needs
This is the most difficult cost to estimate because different web designers have different rates. It depends on their experience, expertise level, and your requirements.
All in all, we are looking at a cost between £1,000 to £5,000. Depending on your requirements, the price may increase or decrease.
If your budget is not huge, then you might be tempted to choose an inexpensive web designer. One thing worth considering is that the lower cost might result in a poorly designed website. Therefore, you need to ensure that you hire a skilled designer, so your website is designed effectively. It will save you from a bad experience.
What makes web designer an expensive selection is that you can turn to your designer whenever you need support (you may need to pay on-going support & maintenance fee), build a custom solution, ease of scalability. You can get professional help from your designer whenever you need to make edits to your website.
Let’s breakdown the cost of hiring a web designer.
- Setup: Around £150
- Design & Develop: £900
- Maintenance: £500
The design & development cost might vary depending on the complexity of your solution.
What affects the cost of designing a website?
Several factors affect the cost of designing a website. Generally, the cost of designing a website using a website builder doesn’t fluctuate. However, when you hire a web designer, the following factors come into play to determine the final cost:
- The first factor that comes into consideration is the complexity of your website design plan.
- The cost would go up if you want the designer or agency to handle the hosting, domain, and plugins for you additional features & security. On the other hand, if you decide to handle the hosting and domain on your own, then the cost will dropdown.
- Generally, website owners decide to opt for on-going support & maintenance, which costs additional money.
- If you have a template and need customization in it, then the cost stays low. Designing and building a website from scratch takes time and effort, which affects the final cost as well.
- The addition of features to your site directly affects the cost. Let’s say you want to sell online and need multiple payment method integrations, custom search filters, product catalogues, and other features – the cost would take a huge leap upwards.
- Another crucial factor is the number of pages you need. The more the pages, the more the cost.
Questions To Consider
Website designing is a specialized job and requires professional hands. When it comes to how much does it cost to design a website, there’s no single answer.
The cost depends on your objectives, budget, available time, and many more. Without taking your unique business considerations into account, one cannot answer this particular question.
However, you can use the following questions to work out the answer:
- What’s my exact budget?
- How do I want to manage my website? By myself or developer?
- In an ideal world, what features does my website need?
- Can I handle the technical aspect like SEO, hosting, and security, or do I need professional services?
Once you provide the answers to these questions to your designer, he/she will be able to give an estimated cost.
We have provided sufficient information to help you know the cost involved in designing a website. Hopefully, you now have an appropriate idea of what goes into determining the final cost of a website and how different factors affect the cost.
Working out the cost of a website doesn’t depend on just money. Other factors, like time, technical skills, and design skills, also come into play. Let’s say you’ve time to learn skills and design your website on your own; you will have your website up & running in no cost. On the other hand, if you don’t have much time and have a huge budget, you can hire a professional.
We hope this guide provides satisfactory answers to your questions.